Skip to content

Roscommon Blackfriars

πŸ“ Sligo β›ͺ Dominican πŸ“… 13th Century πŸ›οΈ dissolved

About This Site

Dominican Friars founded 1253 by Felim O’Conor, King of Connacht, buried here; consecrated 1257 by Thomas O’Conor, Bishop of Elphin; burned 1270; Dominican Annals of Roscommon written up to 1314…

Dominican Friars founded 1253 by Felim O’Conor, King of Connacht, buried here; consecrated 1257 by Thomas O’Conor, Bishop of Elphin; burned 1270; Dominican Annals of Roscommon written up to 1314 dissolved 1573; leased to Thomas le Strange 1573; ruinous by 1612; granted to Francis Viscount Valentia 1615; friars remained in the vicinity, continuing into the 19th century

Historical Information

Founded: 1253
Dissolved: 1573
Associated Saints: Felim O'Conor, King of Connacht
Alternative Names:
  • The Friary Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Roscommon